Sunday, February 10, 2013

What's on your bookshelf?

When I was around 5 years old, my mom (who is now a children's librarian) started me on a summer reading program.  Every week we went to the library and checked out a stack of books.  And for every book I read, my mom would write the title on an oval piece of colored paper - maybe around 6 inches tall and 4 inches wide.  There were several different colors of the ovals.  Then she would tape that oval really high on my wall in my bedroom and link the ovals together.  They created a bookworm - my summer reading bookworm.


Thus began my love of reading and of books.  The first home improvement project I made to my first home was to build a bookshelf.  I loved that wall of books with the built in arch and painted blue background. 

During my high school years I stopped reading for fun - I guess with sports, church activities, work and school, I just didn't have time to read anymore.  It wasn't until my freshman year at college that I realized with a shock that I had stopped reading for fun.  Luckily, I had a roommate who was a voracious reader.  Beginning with The Princess Bride, my love of reading was reborn.

Since then, I read pretty much non-stop...until I got pregnant.  I think it was a combination of exhaustion and nausea that put the stops, but I completely stopped reading and didn't start until Ryan was about 6 months old which, oddly enough, was about the same time that Ryan began sleeping through the night.

Last year, I read some amazing books.  I fully intended on writing a review about them, but, well, you know how blogging intentions go.  So, here is my readling list from 2012:
1.  Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - non-fiction account of the amazing Louis Zamperini.
2.  Gideon by Marilyn Robinson.  A re-read of one of my favorite novels.  Beautifully written story but you really have to be patient with this one.  It has a subtle plot that unfolds and you just have to enjoy the writing and the journey.
3.  Home by Marilyn Robinson.  Sequel to Gideon.  Another favorite.
4.  The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea.  Okay, I'm just going to say all of these books are favorites unless otherwise noted.
5.  Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I usually resist the latest book fad, but Tony bought it for me.  Yes, it was disturbing, but I read it in 24 hours.
6.  Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.  Ditto
7.  Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.  Ditto
8.  Entreleadership by Dave Ramsey.  I'm addicted to Dave Ramsey podcasts.  This business book did not disappoint, although I could do without all of the scriptural references.
9.  Stolen Lives by Malika Oufkir.  Non-fiction.  If you haven't already, just read it.  You will never complain about your life again.
10.  Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.  Interesting and thought provoking, but not one of my favorites.   A great book, but it had some pretty stiff competition this year.
11.  Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.  LOVED this one.
12.  In the Shadow of the Cypress by Thomas Steinbeck (son of THE Steinbeck).  It was no East of Eden...
13.  Islands of the Sea by Isabel Allende.  Love her writing.
14.  The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes.  Took my awhile to get into it, but about 50 pages in, I couldn't put it down.
15.  Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.  Beyond disturbing, but a definite page turner.  Total fluff read.
16.  Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otskua - AMAZING.  If you are a relative of mine, you must read it. 

So far in 2013:
1.  Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.  I thought this was a novel until I read about how she spent about 4 years living in the slums in India.  Fascinating and sad.
2.  A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.  Hilarious account of hiking the Appalachian Trail.  I have taken that off my bucket list.
3.  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  Another disturbing page turner.  If you are offended by language, don't read it.

If you're still reading this, I need a book recommendation...I'd LOVE to what your favorite book you read was in 2012!

1 comment:

  1. Fun. Thanks for sharing the book list. My favorite read last year was, Same Kind of Different as Me. A must read, if you haven't already. I keep a list/review of my recent books on my blog.

    ReplyDelete