Thursday, September 15, 2011

mother of the year

Becoming a first-time mother a little later in life brought a few fears. I feared the natural mothering instinct might have faded over my single years. So I'm strangely comforted when I hear Ryan crying and I instinctively understand that he is in trouble. But I'm also disturbed that when I run and find my child has crawled over one side of the barstool and is stuck, I run to find my camera before extracting him and comforting him in his distress.




But I AM proud that I can identify potentially harmful objects that might poke an eye out or skewer a soft tummy. Especially when my little one is perched on lofty benches that are 3/4 as high as his little body.



And of course, I'm happy to report that we've created challenges and obstacles for Ryan to overcome. Because after all, that which does not seriously harm or maim must make you stronger right?

So I hereby nominate myself for mother of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I'm in the same boat with Nyomi - She's done all those exact things and I wish I had my camera near by sometimes.
    Kids have to learn somehow, and we can only do so much until they have to do it by or for themselves. Like going down the stairs or feeding themselves. It's scary and messy, but it can be loads of fun.
    Enjoy your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete