Thursday, May 9, 2013

squealing at the zoo


If any of you know me, you know I don't do winter in Utah very well.  Not well at all.  I've been known to stay inside the house for days on end which probably isn't the best thing in the world for my mental health.  It's just so darn cold in Utah so why go outside if you don't have to?

But spring has arrived.  Actually, it feels almost like summer, but I'm not going to press my luck.  And so we bought a zoo membership.  For a mere $67, we can visit the elephants, the polar bear, the giraffes and the monkey world to our hearts content.

And so on Saturday morning, I asked Ryan if he wanted to go to the zoo.  He didn't even answer me.  He just ran to get his shoes and his jacket  and started jumping up and down with excitement.  He was extremely disappointed when I told him we weren't going for a few hours after daddy got home from running.  But can I tell you what I learned that day?  A zoo trip is a FABULOUS bribe!

"Ryan, eat your veggies and we'll go to the zoo later."  "Ryan, take your nap and we'll go to the zoo after you wake up."  I might have to go to the zoo everyday just to get my boy to do what I want him to.

So around 3pm we finally got our act together and headed up to the zoo and the lovely thing about a zoo pass is, you can just go for a few hours and you get your moneys worth.

Ryan is at that magical age where he gets super excited about anything and everything.  And I do mean anything and everything!  He still gets excited reading "Brown Bear Brown Bear" and we must have read that book about a thousand times.

So when he saw the seals swimming?  Well, listen for his squeals.

We'll be spending a lot of time at the zoo this summer.  And this means a lot of bribe material and even better, a lot of squealing.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit, now that the zoo is getting nicer, I really like it. I've already been about 5 times this year. I have a season pass too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom says that she remembers our vocabulary would always increase after she took us to the zoo.... I guess we loved it too!

    ReplyDelete