Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Be Mine



During my single years, I attended a multitude of church "firesides" - inspirational meetings with inspiration talks by inspirational people. And that's what they were to me. Inspirational.



One talk that I will always remember is by Suzanne Harwood. She talked about being single versus married and she told all us single adults that the ONLY disadvantage she could see we had from NOT being married is we didn't have someone in our lives to focus on besides ourselves. She said the greatest blessing of having a spouse and/or children is having the constant opportunity to serve them. The gist of the message is there is happiness and fulfillment in serving others.



I've always believed that a life full of serving others is a beautiful life. My parents are amazing examples to me of this. My dad is home in Pleasanton hard at work organizing the next two Special Olympic activities. My mom is home helping my dad and probably the young women and her friends and co-workers and anyone else around her who needs anything.



They are the greatest examples to me of love and service. And my siblings are not far behind them in the good works and service they do for their families and those around them. I could write a post on each of my siblings and the amazing things they are doing in their worlds. And then there are my grandparents. Don't even get me started on my grandparents.


Valentines Day this year has been a good reminder to me of what it means to love others and to be loved. Especially because I am in North Carolina this week and away from Tony and Ryan. If I've learned anything with all my travels, it's that absence does make the heart grow fonder.



A few months ago I had a bit of a dull spot. I was feeling sorry for myself because I didn't have any time for myself. I was either working or taking care of Ryan or cleaning the house. Tony is amazing in how he tries to allow me to have my own time, but I was feeling like I just didn't have any freedom. At least not the way I had freedom in my pre-motherhood and pre-marriage years.


So on this day-after-Valentines Day, I'm grateful to have such wonderful people in my life. People who love me, who are always there for me, who do so much for me. Even when I go through rough patches where I'm feeling sorry for myself, I'm grateful I don't have the luxury to be too self-absorbed and too selfish with my time (although I certainly do try!).


When I see the familiar Valentines Day phrase, "Be Mine," I'm reminded of what that really means. To "be mine" isn't about possession; it means you are mine to serve, mine to appreciate, mine to love.


And how grateful I am that Tony and Ryan are all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment