Thursday, June 13, 2013

comfort, hope and courage


 
A few weeks ago, on a Friday night, I woke up around 2am and decided to write a book about cancer – a book for cancer patients and their families.  The title popped into my mind:  Comfort, Hope and Courage.  Thoughts and ideas came to me over the next few hours and then I slipped back to sleep.
I woke up Saturday morning with the thoughts still swirling in my mind.  I started writing, searching the internet and jotting down thoughts and ideas.  I had no idea why this was suddenly all I could think about - it was completely out of the blue.  And then my dad called me later that night and told that my mom's cancer had returned.

A week passed while we waited for scan and MRI test results and I kept thinking about that book, but I didn’t know what to do about it.  And one day, it hit me with such force that it stopped me in my tracks.  That book is for my mom.
My mother is a strong woman.  When she had her first bout with cancer sixteen years ago, I was fortunate enough to be able to move home to be there for the entire process - surgery, chemo and radiation.  And while she was definitely weak, sick and physically down at times, she was amazing.  She inspired me with her positive outlook, her endurance and longsuffering, her lack of complaining and her gratitude for everyone and everything around her.

And sixteen years later, I think she is an even stronger woman.  And while I’m sure she has it in her physically, mentally and spiritually to beat this again, I also feel she will need more prayers and more support this time.  And really, what cancer patient doesn't need an outpouring of love, support and prayers?   It’s our role to play – to pray for others, to pray for others and to add our faith to theirs.

So I started to work on “Comfort, Hope and Courage”.  I asked family and friends to write a letter to my mom and share any experiences they had overcoming a trial, or share a favorite song, scripture, thought about comfort, peace or courage.  Then I printed the letters and pictures and compiled them in a binder and sent it to my mom earlier this week.  But I hope this will be an ongoing project - I'm still receiving letters and pictures to add to the book.  And that's where you come in.
Whether or not you know me or my mom, if you feel so inclined to send a note, letter, thought, or anything, we'd love to include you!  And send a picture of yourself/family!  It adds so much to the book.  You can email them to me at:  nmano@yahoo.com.
So much of cancer treatment and recovery is mental and emotional.  I remember how much it helped my mom last time and I know it will help her this time.  So with Comfort, Hope and Courage, we thank you!
Natalie
ps:  And for those who have already sent me letters, thank you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment