Saturday, September 7, 2013

Anna and Tony

Tony meeting Anna for the very first time. She wanted nothing to do with either of us!

We were told that a child will usually "choose" one parent to attach to more than the other and so it was with little Anna. We figured it would be me because it is typically the mother and I also have a huge advantage being Asian. From the moment she stopped crying on Gotcha Day and wrapped her little body around mine (literally - she wraps her legs, body and arms completely around me), she has been my little shadow. In fact, she has been a bit afraid of Tony and she will cry if I leave the room or if he tries to pick her up. She has no idea what a wonderful daddy he is going to be to her. For now, he is just a huge white guy to her.

Tony has been a champ though. He certainly does not take it personally and he since he was leaving in a few days, his strategy was not to bond too much because it could be extremely harmful to leave a few days after bonding. He takes advantage of moments to relate to her like feeding her and giving her treats.

I think it was only the first night when Tony starting making funny sounds and faces and she started copying him. It was his first real connection with Anna.


Then on Day 2, we were at the Anyang passport office getting Anna's passport taken care of and she let him carry him. I hurried and snapped as many pictures as I could. Tony even sneaked in a kiss on the cheek.

Later on, she was back to being scared of him, but she has had a few moments here and there. As it is with most parents, it may take time for them to build a relationship. I am a "bit" (a lot) worried because I have the big High Point Market in October that I have to be at. It certainly isn't going to help Anna's sense of safety and security to have a parent leave them after a few weeks. But I am hoping it will be time for Anna to start learning that she has the best daddy In the world.


But we will take it a step at a time. All in all, I'm amazed at the progress she is making. Considering she has no idea where she is, who I am, can't understand what I am saying, she's being called by a new name (we call her Anna Jing to help the transition), she is doing remarkably well.

2 comments:

  1. Natalie - She is sooooooo cute!!! It sounds like the bonding is going very well. Presley was scared of Derek for about 6 weeks and then all of sudden he became her favorite parent. Those two were attached at the hip for about 2 years. And I can tell that Anna will have Tony wrapped around his finger. You can just see it in him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is a doll. I'm so happy for your cute family. I can't wait to see her in nursery!!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete