Friday, July 30, 2010

half way there...

Just met with Dr. Baker - we've scheduled the delivery (I'll likely be induced) for next Friday August 6th!


Reality is really setting in - we're excited, nervous, scared and hopeful. Baby Smart is still doing great. In yesterdays NST (non-stress test) where they hook up a bunch of monitors to both me and the baby and measure movement, heart, contractions, he was asleep for the first bit. They woke him up with this vibrating sound thing and he was pretty angry with us - kicking, moving, heart rate way up. It was interesting to see the richtor-type print out.


Had a lot of calls and visitors yesterday which was really nice to break things up. Thanks Amy, Trent & Sarah, Janelle and the kids and Robin for coming by! Robin brought an amazing cupcake and eclaire that I wasn't supposed to eat, but we indulged and my blood sugar level survived in tact.


Mom and dad also arrived and I was much more composed when I saw them than I thought I would be - Wednesday was just an emotional day, but apparently I'm past that hormonal, emotional day.


We also had our one-on-one birthing class last night which answered a lot of questions. The nurse came in our room and tutored Tony and I. He now knows the best place for him to physically be is by my side (as opposed, for example, behind me) - he interpreted that as being able to quickly retreat out of striking distance. I also learned that I won't be doing the "he, he, he, who, who who" breathing that I've always heard about.


This baby thing is amazing - development, medical technology, birth process - everything just amazes me. It reminds me of when my mom went through her breast cancer ordeal and how she gained an appreciation of the miracle of the human body. More than anything, I realize the miracle that is happening inside my tummy.


We're so grateful for friends and family and all the support we've been receiving. We love you all.


Natalie, Tony and Baby Smart

1 comment:

  1. Glad your little guy is doing so well. Can't wait for August 6th and lots of pics! By the way, you need to post a prego picture of you. It's a right of passage before childbirth.

    PS For some reason I can't figure out how to have my posts not say my daughter's name instead of mine. Oh well, it's really me - Becky. ;)

    ReplyDelete