Friday, December 2, 2011

be good to yourself

A couple of months ago my sister Janelle emailed me and asked if I wanted to buy a groupon thing for a personal trainer - $50 for 16 sessions! We wondered how good the trainer would be at that price, but we decided to go for it.

We started at the beginning of November when my traveling slowed down and can I just say, I can now do 100 sit-ups and 100 push-ups (yes, girl push-ups, if you must know). But if you happen to see me on a Tuesday or a Friday and wonder why I'm moving so slowly, well, it's because I just did 100 sit-ups and 100 push-ups.

Our trainer is actually one of the better trainers I've worked with (and I've worked with quite a few). It's group training which is something new, but Janelle and I are able to go together. It's always good to have someone to make fun of when you're working out.

One of the things our trainer always tells us is "be good to yourself."

At first, I wondered how and when. I thought of cookies and ice cream and warm bubble baths. But after several weeks, I've come to the conclusion that simply taking a few minutes for myself is all I need (and, honestly, about all I can manage these days).

I tried to take a couple of days off work this week and while I was pretty unsuccessful, I did have a few hours to work on a project that I've been putting off for a very long time. It felt good. I still have long list of incomplete projects, but one is done. If I get really ambitious, I'm going to finish the baby blanket I was going to make before Ryan was born.

So, my message to myself and to anyone who happens to read this is, "be good to yourself."

Personally, I plan to take as much time off as possible this month - which probably won't be much, but it will be something. And I plan on continuing to work out with Angie Idle (isn't that a great name for a trainer...idle!). Who knows, maybe in a month I'll be doing 200 sit-ups and push-ups. And yes, they'll probably still be girl push-ups. It's what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment