Wednesday, August 15, 2012

it's a bit dusty around here...

Once again I find myself a few days before leaving for a tradeshow and in a bit of a panic.  I should be doing a dozen other things right now, but really, I just need a break.

I love my job, don't get me wrong.  I work for a brilliant furniture designer and I get to wear a lot of different hats.  But sometimes I have to take a step back and tell myself, it's just furniture. 

And speaking of furniture, I looked around last night and noticed mine is a bit dusty.  As in, "when was the last time I dusted?" kinda dusty.  Unfortunately for my home, it wasn't incentive enough to break out the dust cloths.  I'm finding that the few spare minutes that I have each day are so precious.  Spare minutes when Ryan goes down for an afternoon nap or asleep for the night, spare minutes when Ryan's awake and just needs me to read to him, spare minutes when Tony and I get to sit out on the back deck and watch the sunset.

But I have to say that I feel the effects of the dust in my life.  I've been in a bit of a funk - more like I'm out of balance.  Too much to do, too little time....you know the drill.  I'm very sure it's no different from your life.

But in the dustiness of my life, I found that I've let a few things go.  I've slipped on prayer.  I've slipped on reading scriptures, I've slipped on keeping my spiritual side healthy.  It's amazing to me how quickly a simple slip happens.

It's kinda like my weight loss journey.  I try to keep up on working out and eating healthy, but one piece of birthday cake (well, ok, two pieces) for my little boy can derail things in an instant.

But luckily the path back to spiritual health isn't as tough as shedding a pound or two. 

The past week I've been taking a minute or two before I fall asleep at night or before I get up in the morning to ponder, meditate and pray.  And I have to say, I'm amazed at how quickly I feel balance coming back into my mind.  My life is out of balance and I'm working late into the nights, but I FEEL more balanced.

So while I know that dust and cobwebs are going to be a constant challenge, I'm determined to spend a little time each day dusting a little corner here and then a little corner there.

No comments:

Post a Comment