Wednesday, August 29, 2012

overwhelmed

After being home from my New York trip for almost a week, I find myself just as overwhelmed with work and life as I was before my trip.  And during my trip for that matter.

I know I'm not the only one with a lot on my plate, but for some reason, I feel like I can barely tread water these days.  My house is a mess, my desk looks like a tornado hit it and I can't sleep at night because I have so much to do.  After tossing and turning in bed for a couple of hours, I decided to get up and get some work done so I can take a couple of hours off on Friday afternoon.  Makes sense huh? 

What makes even more sense is me writing this blog post instead of working.  But here I am.

I had a dentist appointment today and as my teeth were being cleaned, the hygenist (I'm pretty sure that's not spelled correctly, but I'm too tired to look it up) asked me how my summer was going.  I realized we haven't had much of a summer at all as I replied, "pretty good, work is going well."

I am managing to spend as much time with Ryan as I can though.  He seems to be settling back in to my travel schedule.  Last month was a bit sketchy.  I came home from my July Atlanta trip and he was so clingy that I couldn't even walk to another room in the house without him panicking.  He had to hold my hand if I had to walk to another room.  Made me really sad and did wonders for my guilt complex.

I didn't mean for this posting to be a downer, but I also promised myself that I would write honestly on this blog.  I promised myself that I wouldn't paint a pretty picture just so others could admire the view.  So there it is.  I love my job, I love my family and really, I love my life.  But I'm overwhelmed.

I also have a feeling that I'm not alone and that there are many out there who are in the same boat.

Ryan's been home with me a lot over the past few weeks (both before and after NY) which, even though a bit stressful at times, has been fun.  I do manage to take breaks throughout the day to read a book or play with his cars or trains.  But most of the time he plays on his own.  And we've definitely had the TV on way too much the past couple of weeks.  A frequent phrase heard in the Smart household is, "too close Ryan....sit on your pillow".  Which, as you can see, works quite well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining about my summer or my job or my life.  I'm just wondering how I'm going to get it all done.  I'm beginning to see a glimmer of light, but it's a very long tunnel!


1 comment:

  1. Would you lose too much traction in your career if you made a career move where you didn't have to travel or travel rarely for quick trips? It seems less travel would cure his clinginess and make life less stressful for you. I am sure you have thought of all of this before but I just feel your pain of juggling everything you convey through your writing and I feel this need to "fix-it" even though you didn't ask for my help. ;)

    ReplyDelete