Tuesday, August 27, 2013

reality check

Another adopting mom who is traveling in the same group as us recommended an amazing "Adoption Parenting" book for me to read.  It is about 400 pages and I am on page 26.

But I did want to share an amazing analogy from that book that I will paraphrase:

Imagine you've just married the man of your dreams. You are very in love and feel like you've found your soul mate. On your wedding night you fall asleep thinking how wonderful life is and how blessed you are. The next morning, you wake up, look over at the other side of the bed and a different man is sleeping next to you! You recoil in horror. Who is this man? Where is your beloved husband?

You ask questions of the new man, but he doesn't understand you and you don't understand him. You search the house and even your home is different - each room is completely different and you can't find any trace of your former life.

Weeks pass and you cry and cry over your loss. The new guy tries to comfort you. You can't sleep, the food tastes completely different from the food you know, you can't understand anyone around you.

More time passes and the man takes you to a different home and there are lots of people who hug you and kiss you. You can't understand anyone and you don't know anyone and you are even more confused.

And the analogy continues on and on going through the different stages.  I understood the parallels of the analogy pretty quickly, but I've never had anything explain so clearly what little Anna is going to go through.  My heart aches for her already knowing how scared - no terrified - she will be leaving her nanny and everyone who loves her and being placed in a stranger's arms.  I am hoping and praying that my Asian looks will go a long, long way.  In fact, I've never been so grateful to be Asian!

So many people have asked if they can help with anything.  Well, I am going to ask for your prayers on Monday Sept 2nd for our little girl as she is placed in our arms.  And while you're add it, pray for that little girl's mommy and daddy because heaven knows, we are going to need all the help we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment