Wednesday, November 24, 2010

a diabetic's feast

When I was pregnant, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes which actually wasn't a total shock considering the family history. My grandma had diabetes, my mom has diabetes and just about all my aunts and uncles either have it or heart disease.

But what I didn't realize is when you have gestation diabetes, it significantly increases the risk of getting diabetes later in life. And with my family history, it's almost certain I'll get it. Lovely.

So I'm on an anti-diabetes campaign and I am determined to beat the odds.

My sister recommended this program called the Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise. While I'm not sure if it's the best long-term solution for me, it's working for now. The basic program is to significantly reduce your intake of sugar and carbohydrates. You can have 25 grams of sugar and 6 servings of carbs (20 grams is 1 serving). Reducing sugar and carbs reduces belly fat.

Best of all, I've lost 8 pounds and 4 inches around my waist and I can still have some sugar and and chips and salsa. I've also been testing my blood sugar (yes, I prick my finger on a regular basis which isn't as bad as I thought it would be) and my numbers have been great.

So with Thanksgiving coming up, I've come up with a strategy. Instead of my usual gobble till I wobble, I'm going to have lots of the healthy stuff - turkey, veggies and the like. And I'm going to allow myself a bit of dessert, a bread item, a bit of sweet potato pie (my favorite!) and a bit of mashed potatoes.

So there it is - I've gone public with my plan...and I plan to report in on Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment