Monday, November 22, 2010

our great adventure

Last week Ryan and I flew to High Point - it was a great adventure, but one that I hope we don't have to repeat. At least not the way we did it.

When Tony dropped us off at the SLC airport, it was a sad good-bye. I felt like I was separating our little family for a much longer time than 5 days. I put Ryan in his little sling/carrier thing and we headed towards Delta security. By the time we got to the end of the walkway, Ryan was clearly telling me that he hated HATED the sling. I put down my two bags (why, oh why did I take TWO bags?!) and took Ryan out of the carrier and held him in my arms which is where he stayed for the next TEN hours.

I had opted for a carrier instead of a stroller because I didn't think I would be able to push a stroller and pull luggage once I landed in NC. But the carrier idea was a disaster. Not only did it not work, but it also became additional luggage to carry in my bags.

As I sat in my window seat waiting to see who would be sitting next to us for the next 3-ish hours, I hoped and prayed for a grandmotherly type. Someone who would think Ryan is the most adorable baby and who would generously offer to hold him while I went to the bathroom or took a break. So when a very large man who smelled like smoke, had a crew cut and dressed in army fatigues sat down next to me, I knew Ryan and I were on our own. He was nice enough, but even if he surprised me and did offer to hold my baby, I would have politely declined.

After a few minutes of fussiness, Ryan settled down and slept for the rest of the flight. I was paranoid about his ears with the take-off and landing, but I was able to time feeding him just right.

Walking through the Atlanta airport carrying Ryan and two bags was a challenge. Even though I booked a 2 hour layover in anticipation of the situation, I think I lost 5 pounds traveling that day. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that Ryan had a record-breaking poopy diaper. He leaked through his outfit and everything. He only had one prior poop leakage and chose this special day to make his second leaky poopy diaper in his life.

The flight to Greensboro wasn't as smooth as our Atlanta flight however. Both in terms of Ryan and the plane flying. Ryan maintained his record breaking day and chose the turbulent flight to Greensboro to produce his third leaky poopy diaper. And because of the turbulence, we couldn't get up to change his diaper. And because of his poopy diaper, Ryan cried the entire flight.

The bright light at the end of the flight was a dear rental car agent who took pity on me and personally went to get the car herself so I didn't have to trek across the airport and through the parking lot carrying a baby, a large suitcase, a pack and play (which I didn't use at all) and a rented car seat.

Bless Evion's soul, she saved me from a breakdown.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word - I was stressing out just reading about your flight and trip. Nothing worse than being trapped on an airplane and you can't do anything about anything! Ugh!!! Did you buy a stroller once you landed? ;)