Wednesday, December 15, 2010

home before the holidays....part one

We just returned Monday night from a much needed quick vacation to California. A trip to mom and dad's house is soothing to my soul anytime of the year, but at Christmas time... Let's just say Carolyn knows how to do Christmas.

I kept telling Tony and Ryan how magical mom's house is (at Christmas time or any holiday for that matter, my mom and dad's house sometimes becomes "mom's house"). Tony kept reminding me of my expectation management mantra, but I was confident that Tony could have high expectations and NOT be disappointed. And I was right.

California was overcast and foggy, but it felt different than Utah's overcast and inversion. On Friday we went to Santa Cruz and wandered downtown for a change. Then we drove along the coast and explored different beaches and beach towns.

Whenever we go to California, we like to play a game. We pretend we are rich and can afford to live anywhere in the world and discuss where we want to live. I always choose California. Specifically, the Bay Area or thereabouts. Anyway, while we were meandering along the coast, we decided that our beach town of choice is Capitola. We almost bought a lottery ticket while we were there. Just because and just in case.

We headed back to Pleasanton around 4:30pm and realized we would be sitting in Friday 5pm traffic headed from San Jose to Pleasanton. If any of you know what this means, you know it isn't pretty. And I think it was enough to change Tony's mind about the Bay Area being the happiest place on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment