Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas Tom

It's been an eventful and a bit of a tough week in terms of the Tom project. He was so desperately cold earlier in the week that we put him in a motel. At $60 a night, WE knew it couldn't be a long-term fix, but I don't think Tom did. After a couple of nights Tom called with great news. He had a very promising job interview on Thursday at noon.

As I mentioned before, Tom is very employable. He is your average middle-class American who is down on his luck. He has a good resume. And he found a former co-worker at this company who was happy to pass on his resume which resulted in the interview.

Up to this point Tony has taken care of most of the errands for Tom. Tony wanted to keep some distance between Tom and his family and home and while I really wanted to get involved, I respected Tony's wishes. But I was able to take some time off work to take Tom to his job interview yesterday so I was finally able to talk at length with him.

We decided to extend the motel stay another night so Tom would be well rested and confident for his job interview. But we told Tom we couldn't pay for any more nights so he had to check out of the motel when I picked him up.

When I saw Tom walk out of his motel room, I was shocked. He was dressed in a suit and tie and looked great. It wasn't just that he had a suit on or that his hair was slicked back. He had confidence. I could tell he felt great. And although he was upset about moving back into his van, he maintained that confidence.

We drove over to the lot where he's been living and it was pretty much how I envisioned it, but worse. It broke my heart to see him climb into his van in his suit. Mostly because I was the one who was playing the heavy. Tony wanted to pay for a months stay in the motel, but I put my foot down.

We then headed to the job interview. Tom wasn't nervous at all and he was very chatty. He knew he could do this job and he just felt good. I dropped him off and went to run a few errands. I was so SO nervous waiting for him that I had to say a prayer out loud. I asked Heavenly Father for His help. I asked Heavenly Father to do whatever He could to help Tom in his interviews. I asked Him to touch the interviewers hearts. I asked for a miracle.

And that prayer was answered. Tom got the job! We drove straight to the drug testing facility so he could start on Monday. It's a good job. It is a sales job that pays commission, but Tom has the exact experience he needs to do well. We were SO excited as Tom and I talked about the job, the possibilities, how this is the beginning of the beginning.

And then I took him back to his van. I felt awful. Yet, I felt like it wasn't quite the right thing to take him to the motel and pay for the month.

I couldn't stop thinking about Tom the rest of the day. I couldn't fall asleep that night so I finally got up and wrapped presents while watching The Miracle on 34th Street. But I had a hard time feeling Christmasy knowing Tom was shivering in his van.

So I decided to call our Bishop in the morning and ask for the ward to pay for half of the $800. My Bishop kindly listened to me, explained that he couldn't use ward funds, but he would pay for the other $400 out of his own pocket. I don't think my Bishop will ever know how much this means not only to Tom but to me and Tony as well. How do you thank someone for something like this?

When I called Tom and told him we were moving him back into the motel today, he started sobbing. He said this was the best Christmas present he's ever received.

We're not out of the woods yet. Tom still doesn't have a car to drive or a driver's license. He still has to find a permanent place to live. And he has to perform on this job. But his luck is turning.

That phone call to Tom this morning was what I needed. Tony took Tom to the motel and got him settled with enough food and money for the weekend.

I think this year ranks up there as one of my top Christmas' ever. It shares company with Christmas on my mission and Christmas at the Sunflower Orphanage with my dear little Peruvian friends.

Merry Christmas to each of you and especially to Tom.

May all your wishes come true.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie, you are my hero. This is the best story ever! I'll go to bed with tears in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete