Saturday, December 18, 2010

home for the holidays...part two





I asked Ryan what his vote was and he said he wanted to live in Capitola too. At 4.5 months, he ought to know. He's already traveled to both coasts so he knows what he's talking about.

On Saturday we drove into the city with mom and dad (I love it when dad drives us around in the city). By the way, "the city" is what we always called San Francisco - not "San Fran" or worse, "FRISCO"...just the city.

Growing up, we always drove into the city at Christmastime. I have so many fun memories of this annual trip and I was excited to share some of it with Tony. We started with the Ferry Building (crowded!) and the Farmers Market (never made it) and then headed to the Embarcadero and the Hyatt (beautiful as always).

Then we headed to Union Square - I wanted to wander through Union Square and see the windows at Macy's and Saks. But the traffic was so heavy, we just watched from the car as we did a drive by.

We finally gave up on the city and headed to another favorite...the Crate and Barrel outlet in Berkeley's 4th Street district. I knew the Crate and Barrel outlet would not disappoint and disappoint it did not. Mom bought some of these and they looked beautiful with her Christmas dinnerware on Sunday. Satiated by our Crate and Barrel purchases, we headed back to Pleasanton tired, but the good kind of tired.

It was a fun day, but it wasn't really the same. I realized 20 years have passed which makes it understandable that times have changed, but it made me sad. Everything seemed so rushed, so crowded, less festive.

But the good thing is Tony didn't have the idyllic memories to compare to so he thought it was all beautiful and wonderful. And now when I look back on last weekend, that's how I remember it as well. Beautiful and wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment