Thursday, June 28, 2012

plateaus and revolutions

One of my goals for 2012 was to lose 1 pound a month which would mean by the end of the year I would be 12 pounds lighter.  I was confident that I had found a weight loss goal that I could finally keep.  If I shed those 12 pounds, I would be at the weight before I married Tony.

I've discovered that weight is a tricky thing for me these days.  For example, I have been the same weight, on the same plateau for more months than I can remember.  The same exact plateau that I've been on for the past year is the same exact plateau that I was on for about a year before I got pregnant.  Weird huh?  It's like my body has the magnetic attraction to that plateau number.  Even if I gained a pound or two when traveling and then dropped a pound or two post travel, I would settle on that same number.  By the way, if you think I can fit into all of my pre-pregnancy clothes just because I am the same weight, you, like I, would be sadly mistaken.

Anyway, that plateau was a mystery to me.  I couldn't escape it.

Until now!

I have now not only blasted through that plateau, but have finally reached my weight loss goal for the year.  SIX (yes, 6!) pounds in the past ten days.  So what if I lost all 6 pounds in a week instead of a pound a month like I originally envisioned?  I'll take it.

How have I done it you ask?  Exercise and eating right a la Jillian Michael's Body Revolution program.  I'm not ashamed to say that I am a big Jillian fan.  Sure, she can be over the top, but have you listened to her podcasts?  Lots of great information and she has amazing guests like Dr. Van Hurley a leading endocrinologist.

Anyway, back to my body revolution...

The first week is a "kick start" week and you work out twice a day - morning and night - for 30 minutes.  And she has a great meal plan with very healthy meals - total of 1200 calories a day.  The meals she has work well with my diabetes prevention goals and are generally extremely healthy (there's a bit more red meat than I'm used to, but other than that, it's all perfect for me).

And even better, Tony's been doing the program with me.  He has to be the most supportive person I've ever met.  He HATES working out indoors and especially while watching a DVD on TV.  But he's been doing about 85% of my workouts with me.  And he does the cooking - follows the recipes (another thing he dislikes a great deal) and weighing my 3-4 ounces of meat.

Tony hasn't given up his daily run in the mountains so sometimes he works out 3 times a day.  No wonder he's lost almost 9 pounds.  He readily admits at being pleasantly surprised by the program and the meals and he said he thinks we FINALLY found something that works for both of us.  After we reach our goals, we feel we can modify the caloric intake and it will be a lifestyle for us.

Yes, I've taken the "before" photos.  I've even thought about following Fat Cyclist's lead and post my actual weight at the end of posts, but I'm not quite there.  The words of my friend Greg keep ringing through my head of not leaving a paper trail.

But for now, here are my 2012 stats:

Coke Zero Free:  12 days
Weight Loss:  6 pounds
Books read:  6 (goal is 1 a month)
Be Social once a month:  6 months and going strong (but how sad is that goal?  Family does not count...)

So good-bye plateau and hello revolution.  It's about time!

No comments:

Post a Comment