Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My half decorated home...

In spite of my desire to keep our Christmas tree up year round so Ryan can sit in his swing and stare at the lights, I started taking Christmas down last weekend. I'm pretty sure the tree will be the last to go though.

Actually, I never really got Christmas completely up in the first place. I started getting excited to decorate my new house back in October. By Thanksgiving, I was raring to go. But I never got the deed fully done. Between a perpetually busy job and a perpetually busy four month old, it just didn't happen.

But luckily I've mastered my art of managing my expectations so well, that I really am ok with that. In fact, I've embraced my half decorated home. So here are some photos - more for my amusement than anything really....
First, our entry way. I have the perfect console for a nativity. Here is a photo of our lovely entry way that sets the tone for the spirit of Christmas sans Baby Jesus who sadly, was never found.
One of the things this new house is missing is a fireplace mantel. I wasn't sure where to put our stockings so I gave Tony the assignment to find the perfect branch on one of his runs in the mountains. I think he did quite well and I might just leave the branch up all year. Here is a photo of our lovely branch mantel sans a stocking for baby Ryan which I never managed to make. Originally they were spaced out better, but after Christmas we just hooked Tony's on any available stump.
Our big windows have wide ledges which I thought would be perfect for my Department 56 houses. And they were, except for the wiring. I haven't quite figured that out yet.
Tony was excited to buy a train to go around the tree - he thought a train would look great among all my houses. And it would've...if we could have gotten it to run. When we bought the carpet, we splurged and bought the cushiest carpet pad available which isn't the most conducive for running trains. So Tony bought a lovely piece of wood to put the train on which looked fine when it was covered with presents, but after Christmas it just looked like a piece of wood. But I loved the train - working or not.
This is just a cool picture because the flash created a shadow of the house on the wall. This is the one corner that I really liked. It was simple, but at night when I turned on the lights, it reflected in the glass top and created a pretty and nice ambiance.
I still loved my half decorated home - it not only felt peaceful but it spoke of simplicity and acceptance. Which is exactly what I needed Santa to bring me this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment