Wednesday, March 27, 2013

red eyes

Something happens when I book my plane flights for my business trips.  I look at all the flight options and then I look at my little boy.  I look at my busy work schedule and my list of projects to accomplish during said trip and then I look at my little boy.


And then the thought comes: it won't be so bad and it will give me an extra day at home.  And before I know what's happened, I've booked another red-eye flight across the country.

Yesterday was one of those travel days.  I boarded my plane in SLC for an 11:50pm departure, headed to JFK arriving at 6:15am.  Which, with the 2 hour time difference, is really 4:15 am.  Luckily, I was really tired from working until the wee hours the night before.  And luckily, I got upgraded to 6B - the land of wide seats and ample leg room.

But still, I only got about two hours of frequently interrupted sleep.  Surprisingly, I only had one coke zero today.  I fully expected it to be a two coke zero day, but I managed on just a single can.

On the walk home from the showroom, I passed by Chipotle.  I felt like I was fading and fast, so the idea of getting a salad and retreating to my hotel room sounded perfect.

I got back to my room, changed into comfy clothes and pulled out my Chipotle salad.  It was then that I realized I had completely forgotten utinsils.  I searched and searched my room for something I could use but couldn't find anything.  Heading out in search of a fork was the last thing I wanted to do, but I couldn't find any suitable substitute....until I spied these!


Yes, those are Bic brand chopsticks.  How is that for McGyvering? 

So it's 9pm and I've been awake for 36 hours with about 2 hours of sleep.  If the Bic chopsticks are any indication, I should've had that second coke zero.  Or maybe I shouldn't have booked that red-eye in the first place.  But then I look at my little boy...and I book another red-eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment