Sunday, July 24, 2011

a year ago today...

I was sitting at my desk at home, talking to my boss David on the phone. And then I felt it. A rush of liquid running out of my body and there was no controlling it. I said to David, "I think my water just broke." He replied, "you'd better go" and he hung up. I've never had anyone get off the phone faster with me.



And with that, the roller coaster ride of our life began. It was 2 months until my expected delivery date, so of course I wasn't ready. I didn't have any baby gear, so I certainly didn't have a bag packed and waiting by the door.



Since I hadn't even thought about what I might possibly need, Tony patiently gathered different articles around the house. And then I'd think of something else, then something else, and then something else. It began a long exercise of patience for Tony that would continue for another 29 days.

After a short 2 hour stay at SL Regional, they decided I needed to transferred to the U of U hospital since I was our baby would be so premature. An $895 (five-minute) ambulance ride later, I was admitted to the U where I was hooked up to more tubes and machines than I thought possible.



Several hours later, it was apparent that our little baby wasn't ready to enter the world, he just wanted to make a big splash (no pun intended) and cause a bit of fuss. So we settled into my new digs and this became my new home for the next few weeks:


As I ponder the events of a year ago, it's almost surreal. It's hard to believe that I spent 17 horizontal days in the U of U hospital. I'm glad I don't have to watch the 24th of July fireworks from this tiny window.



I also think about the kindness of the nurses in the ante-partum ward and it makes me tear up with gratitude. Those nurses were seriously the kindest people I've ever met. I felt pampered and cared for. Even when they had to wake me up every 3 hours through the night, they would turn on as little light as possible and work as quickly and quietly as they could as they took my vitals and pricked my finger for my bloodwork. They would always apologize for waking me up and ask if there was anything they could do for me.



As I think of those wonderful women, I am grateful for the medical profession and for the kindness with which they care for those of us in need.



And it makes me strive to be a little more kind to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment