Thursday, July 26, 2012

a real Utahn

Tony told me I'm not a real Utahn.  Not that I don't love Utah, but if forgetting that July 24th is a state holiday and traveling on that day is a reason, I guess he's right.

I had a quick trip to Chicago (left Monday morning and returned Tuesday night).  I was scheduled to arrive home about midnight which, as Tony pointed out, was too late for the Pioneer Day festivities.  Growing up, we went to the annual Pioneer Day picnic at the county fairgrounds on the closest Saturday to the 24th, but the actual 24th was never a holiday.  We also never had parades or fireworks.  If we had the latter, I think I would have been conditioned for excitement for the 24th of July.

The Chicago trip, in my opinion, was a smashing success.  We flew in early enough so we grabbed a quick bite to eat and then got a bit of shopping in.  We have family pictures this weekend and I was desperate for some clothes.  Not only are these our first family pics since Ryan was born (I know...bad mommy!), but they are the pics that are required for our adoption dosssier.  Anyway, I found a blue plaid shirt for Ryan that will fit in nicely AND it was on sale.

We enjoyed walking along Michigan Avenue and crossing the bridge - it was a beautiful evening albeit a bit on the humid side (understatement!).

Our meetings on Tuesday went well and before we knew it, we were headed back to the airport.  I managed to find a gate agent who got me onto an oversold flight with an arrival time into SLC at 9pm instead of midnight (and got me upgraded which is sometimes difficult when you fly stand-by).

Anyway, around 9:30pm I pulled into my Cottonwood Heights neighborhood and the sky was ablaze!  The main road was blocked off for the fireworks, but I was able to go the back route.  In front of all of our neighbor's houses were people sitting on front lawns watching the show in the sky.  I was trying to hurry home so I could catch the last bit with Tony.

I pulled into the garage and ran out the back door and there was Tony.  What a wonderful way to come home.  We had an amazing fireworks show from our back yard (the picture above is from our back yard).  We were so close that our trees obstructed part of the view, but it was still spectacular.

So Happy 24th Utah.  Yes, my wishes are belated, but I was with you to celebrate.  So consider me a fellow Utahn please.

No comments:

Post a Comment