Wednesday, March 16, 2011

are you Japanese?

If anyone thinks traveling for work is glamorous, let me change your mind with one phrase: Table for one please.

That is the phrase I repeat all too often on my business trips. Nothing makes me feel sorry for myself more than eating in a restaurant solo. I always take a book with me so I can keep my mind occupied and that usually does the trick. Usually.

But that really isn't what I was planning on writing about.

Last night I was eating my healthy meal of grilled chicken and steamed veggies (I'm learning to eat healthy on the road...but that isn't what I want to talk about either). And I was reading my book "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey which is totally fascinating.

I was so absorbed in my book I didn't think about work, Ryan, Tony or anything else that usually distracts me. And then my waitress came to my table and said, "I'm sorry to bother you, but are you Japanese?" People ask me these types of questions once in a while, but this one took me off guard. I replied yes and then she asked, "do you have any people over in Japan in the earthquake?" I said yes, but that we've heard from everyone and they are ok. And as far as I know, their families are ok too.

This sweet Southern woman just about broke down in tears and said "I'm so happy for you. I've been praying and praying for those poor people. I'm just heartbroken for them." I was amazed at her earnestness and she talked to me. I thought "wow - you would think she was part of my family or even that she was Japanese." And then I realized, "it wasn't just about the Japanese people she cared about, she just truly loves and cares about people. Period."

Like so many, I've thought so much about the people who are suffering, who have lost family and who have died. And I've also been so touched by the stories of compassion, rescue, resiliance. There is much that I admire about the Japanese character. It makes me proud to be of Japanese heritage when I hear that there is little or no looting. When people are industrious and making the best of their situations AND doing their best to take care of the elderly around them. When people are working hard to get back on their feet so they can then help others.

Like my waitress last night said, I'm just heartbroken for the people. But it's not just heartbreaking, it's also heartwarming.

In the midst of such a tragedy, I love that there are so many stories of the wonderful Japanese spirt. That not only warms my heart, but also gives me hope.

And oddly enough, I'd love to go over to Japan and help the little old couple I saw on a youtube video make chopsticks out of bamboo.

1 comment:

  1. I have been so impressed with the Japanese people and their "refined" grittiness and resolve to carry on in the face of terrible tragedy. You can be so proud of your heritage. And also, aren't Southern people the best?! I loved so much living in the South, and would STILL - 11 years later - move back in a heartbeat. My teenage, very intrenched Colorado kids wouldn't, but I would. ;)

    ReplyDelete