Friday, March 4, 2011

Ryan and Abby

One of the things I look forward to is the day when Ryan and Abby can run around and chase each other. I have great expectations for these two. Abby is the perfect best friend for a little boy and I think that's exactly what they'll be...best friends.

If Ryan is crying, Abby will run and get us. If Ryan is playing on his own, Abby will lay down and nap next to him. I believe Abby has learned not to lick Ryan, but I think she sneaks one in when I'm not looking.

They are fascinated with each other. Ryan loves to watch Abby. Once in awhile I'll let Abby lick Ryan's feet and he'll squeal with delight. And if I'm feeling really generous, I'll just sit Ryan down next to Abby and let them interact. I don't allow Abby to lick Ryan's face (yuck.), but I will let Ryan reach out and pet Abby and I even let Abby lick Ryan's hands (but I wash them right after).
Ryan has no fear of this animal who weighs almost 3 times his weight. He will reach out and put his hands in Abby's mouth - and Abby who is so gentle and sweet, just looks Ryan straight in the eye and gives her the most loving lick you've ever seen.

All the licking really grosses me out and I try not to freak out when Abby licks Ryan (or me for that matter). I've heard that babies that grow up with dogs in the home have a stronger immune system so that's what I'm focusing on.
But even if Abby isn't providing the service of strengthening Ryan's immune system, she's worth it.

1 comment:

  1. i seriously *love* your dog. :) there's a new study out that says people who grew up with a dog are better parents. or something like that. so you're already helping little ryan's future family! :)

    ReplyDelete