Sunday, June 5, 2011

a bit of indulgence is a good thing (day 3)

Yesterday I treated myself to a massage. I used to treat myself to a massage at least once a month, but it's been months since I've had one.

My cousin's husband is a massage therapist really, like no other I've ever been to. Last year I had a frozen shoulder (very painful!) and he fixed it. Then I decided to have him work on my knees which have given me problems for about 20 years. He did what physical therapy didn't do and I was able to hike without pain.

And then I decided to see what he could do for my back. About 15 years ago I had a bad waterski accident that left me with constant lower back pain. He fixed that too.

But it had been almost a year since I'd been to see him - before Ryan was born. And my shoulder was starting to act up again and my lower back pain was (not to pun) back.

As I lay there during the massage I concentrated on just relaxing. I cleared my mind of worries and my to-do lists. I just focused on breathing and being.

Today I feel like a new woman. It reminded me that I need to take time for myself, that I need to take time to take care of my physical body and health. It reminded me that my physical body deserves time and attention.

So during these 28 days, I will also take time to indulge myself and take time to relax, to stretch and to clear my mind of all things taxing or troubling.

And day 3? Down another pound. cha-ching!

No comments:

Post a Comment