Saturday, August 28, 2010

ad libbing it

If everyone reading this blog would knock on wood, I would appreciate it. I'm not the superstitious type, but I am so incredibly scared of jinxing us.

So I don't have to eavesdrop anymore. There is open discussion of how close we are to going home. In fact, our nurse Sarah on Friday (who was so incredibly sweet and caring) thinks we are in the final stages.

Our last task to bring Ryan home is to have him eat on his own. The actual criteria is he has to be eating at least 75% on his own. And as of Thursday at 8:30am, he's been doing just that!

One of the things that has helped is Tony and I have divided and conquered our time. Before I would go to the hospital in the morning and Tony would come around 4pm after work and we would both stay for a while. Tony's back working full-time and now comes around 5pm and then I go home while Tony stays until about 9pm or so.

This not only allows Tony to feed Ryan a bottle, but also gives them some great one-on-one time with just the two of them. Tony comes home late, but he's on cloud nine as he tells me how great Ryan did and how his boy smiles at him when he sings or talks to him.

So today we started (unofficially) ad libbing our eating schedule. Instead of the scheduled 3 hour eating intervals, Ryan eats when he wakes up and tells us he's hungry. And he's doing great. He needs to do this for 48 hours (and keep gaining weight) and then we're coming home!

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! We're knocking on wood and keeping our fingers crossed that Ryan can come home soon!
    I'm finally getting a chance to catch up on your blog...you guys sure have been through lots. It was nice to see you guys the other day, looking forward to seeing you again soon.

    ReplyDelete